Wednesday, February 10, 2010

End of the world at school?

In our computer class here in good old BU ed, we have to develop a multimedia presentation. It has to be able to be used in the classroom. I've decided to go with something about sustainable development.

A question I've always had, and have been meaning to confound my Social Studies Methods teacher with, is how do you approach the statement, "but the world's going to end in 2012." It is a main stream idea that is buzzing around these days, but if it was going to be touched upon, it would be in Social Studies class, right?

I guess it is like the Y2K bug, but I don't remember that being a big deal.

Promoting sustainable development would be the answer in my mind. Its important, our world needs it, and people are smart enough to do it these days.

What does sustainable development involve though?

I plan on making a multimedia presentation following a piece of garbage or a piece of recycling from my house. I think that works. Or maybe, create a digital story following the concepts brought up in the video The Story of Stuff.

I'll write again when I have little more to say on the topic, but the aforementioned question about the trendy end of the world is something that has been stuck in my mind for a while.

Watch the video if you haven't, its kind of cool, but in ways not entirely age appropriate for my future students... Whats you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment